[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] preliminary x264 encoding help text

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:32:22 CEST 2005

On 4/29/05, Jeff Clagg <snacky at ikaruga.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:37:31AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> > Are you still working on this document Jeff? Could you maybe send an
> > improved version of this document that features everybody's nits?
> > I should have some time this week-end to merge this guide into the XML
> > doc, so if you think it's good enough for inclusion, please send your
> > updated document.
>
> Still working on it, but not very much. Maybe my original expectations
> were too high. One of the things I wanted to do was to give realistic
> and typical example PSNR and speed changes for each option, but I never
> got around to doing the testing this requires.

I'd say, send the proofread things that you're confident are worth
being included, and you'll still be able to add some more later when
you have the time.

> The other thing I decided is that I should discuss ip_factor and
> pb_factor. In several cases I've gained up to 0.4dB by finding better
> values for these. This brings up a couple of issues. First, I'm not
> even completely sure how you can tell whether a clip will benefit from
> a different ip_factor, other than by trying it.

Just like qpel, GMC, and probably other other options. If you can tell
us about reasonable ranges and what we can expect from tweaking a
certain option, both in quality and in speed, I guess that's quite
good.

> Secondly, I think
> vb_qfactor and vi_qfactor should also be discussed in mencoder.xml.

Yeah, I do agree with that. The man page is already too crowded.

Send whatever is ready, and I'll try to find the time to include it.

Regards,

Guillaume