[MPlayer-dev-eng] HW for open standard video and audio formats

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Apr 22 10:44:45 CEST 2005

Svante Signell wrote:

> So you mean that going for Theora is the same as MPEG2? But MPEG2 is licence bound!
> Just ask all equipment manfacturers.

That's the funny part...

> This is the whole point. I prefer to use algorithms that even if they
> are patented prior art does exist, making the patents invalid. In worst
> case this has of course to be tested in court :-(
> What about patents that are freely available to open source projects.

> IBM have such patents. Any in the area of video/audio codecs?

A thesis is also research, feel free to have a look and report back what
is usable and what it isn't.

> So even if I go for NUT, which video and audio codec to use?

I'd suggest snow and vorbis if you have about one month or 2

> What licence does the NUT spec have?

the same every rfc has I guess. What about CC-Sa ?

> Additionally, maybe we should also try to make a SW implementation of
> the NUT container format for mplayer...

There are already 2 implementation that just need some updates, somebody
is still waiting for the libnut MIT licensed implementation, but I guess
that Rich is too busy to have it done.

> What about multi-channel audio?

libdca exists, if you want to think about something that use some
different tecniques to reduce the bitrate feel free to implement it.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero