[MPlayer-dev-eng] HW for open standard video and audio formats (NO-SPAM)

Svante Signell svante.signell at telia.com
Fri Apr 22 00:14:45 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:58 -0700, RC wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:22:24 +0200
> Svante Signell <svante.signell at telia.com> wrote:
>
> > Video: Ogg Theora, Nut?
>
> NUT is a container.  Add MPEG-1, VP3 (similar to Theora), Snow, and
> perhaps Dirac.
>
> > Audio: Ogg Vorbis, flac?
>
> MPEG-1 Layer 2 (MP2).
>
> > Any open standard for 5.1 (or higher) audio available?
>
> Any codecs can handle any number of channels.  None of the
> free/open ones have the bit-saving features for multiple channel sound
> like AC3/DTS does, though the Vorbis coders have promised it for a long
> time.

Thanks for all your comments, an updated table is given below including SW licences (incomplete):

Video: Ogg Theora(BSD), MPEG-1, VP3, Snow, Dirac, ffv1
Audio: Ogg Vorbis(GPL/BSD), Flac, MP2, wavpack, TTA, Musepack, speex, sonic
Container: Ogg, Matroska(LGPL), Ogg, Nut, MXF(Dirac)
5.1-support: None similar to AC3/DTS so far, most can handle multiple
channels though
Screen resolutions: no problem
Other issues:?

Further comments:
- Which codecs/containers SW implementations are GPL licensed, and which are not. I'm only
interested in GPL (and maybe LGPL) for a mixed HW/SW solution.
- Which codecs/containers are patent-free or openly available (no fees)?
- What about NUT container format? Maybe the developers can give some
input here. Can it be taken seriously? No software implementation exists
yet, right?
-Comparisons wrt complexity, format overhead, ability for a mixed SW/HW
solution etc.

Thanks,
--
Svante Signell <svante.signell at telia.com>