[MPlayer-dev-eng] HW for open standard video and audio formats

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 21 21:54:47 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:43:07PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> On 4/21/05, Svante Signell <svante.signell at telia.com> wrote:
> > I'm about to announce some Master Thesis subjects at my school on
> > hardware encoders and decoders for open standard video and audio as well
> > as container formats replacing the licence bound MPEG2,MPEG4,MP3 etc
> > standards. Below is what I have found so far:
> >
> > Video: Ogg Theora, Nut?
>
> You may add Dirac.

snow is a much better example.
There's also ffv1...

> > Audio: Ogg Vorbis, flac?
>
> I think you could add musepack too.

Musepack is not (yet) good for use together with video.
speex (voice codec)
sonic

> > Container: Matroska, Ogg, Nut?

Ogg is very specialized for Vorbis/Theora AFAIK, not really
general-purpose.

Maybe better ask on the ffmpeg list btw..
And this might also more belong on the users list...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger