[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: scanning support for .vdr files

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at mbnet.fi
Sat Apr 16 12:20:31 CEST 2005

C.Y.M wrote:
> I often use mplayer in slave mode to playback various files through my full
> featured DVB card using mpegpes.  Mplayer is able to handle just about every
> format I can throw at it, even native .vdr files.  The only problem is that when
> I fast forward or rewind when playing back .vdr files with mplayer, mplayer does
> not fast forward or rewind smoothly, like it does with every other format.  If I
> fast forward .vdr files for a just a second, mplayer jumps about 5 minutes at a
> time.  Is there a way to fix mplayer so scanning through .vdr files is a little
> smoother?

I use parameters "-vfm ffmpeg" (actually, I added them in config file)
as workaround so that now mplayer defaults always to ffmpeg video
codecs, and uses it to decode the MPEG2. The fast-forwarding works
better and it is even a little bit faster in my old laptop :)

Question for Mplayer devs:
Is there some reason the default mpeg2 codec is libmpeg?

--
Anssi Hannula