[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] preliminary x264 encoding help text

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 09:11:40 CEST 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 03:45:01PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>
>> On Apr 10, 2005 3:24 PM, Alexander Strasser <eclipse7 at gmx.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As PSNR is nothing special to a particular codec, we might want
>>> to explain it and some similar terms in one playe somewhere else.
>>
>> Maybe we could just say it's a figure that somewhat refers to the
>> quality/fidelity of the encode, and give a link to the wikipedia:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSNR ?
>
> A quick explanation and a link to more in-depth information sounds
> good.

Personally, I'd be inclined to make the (first use in a context of) the
term be a link to the place in the documentation where the -psnr option
is explained, and then include an expansion and explanation there.
Unfortunately at present there isn't an explanation of that option in
the HTML documentation (and links to the man page are AFAIK infeasible
if not impossible), and the only place where the term is explained at
all is in the DVD-encoding guide (Chapter 7.11, menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4).
Failing that, as it appears we do, the Wikipedia link seems like a
reasonable fallback.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.