[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] gettext support

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Mon Apr 4 11:23:40 CEST 2005

As of now, MPlayer supports gettext, but has no message files that could
be used with it. So I've sat down to making such messages, and this is
the preliminary version
What it does:
 it takes help_mp-*.h files, and generates for them the *.po file.
 Also, upon request it can generate .mo files, which are actually used
 by gettext.
What it doesn't do (yet):
 * guess what *.po/mo files it should generate by examining ./configure --languages
 * support for different *.mo path then PREFIX/share/local (i.e. I want
   it to use ~/mplayer/main/help, because I don't want to make install
   all the time
 * actually install *.mo files

What it doesn't do and I don't know how to fix:
gettext distinguishes messages only by message body. But right now some
#defines in help_mp-en.h resolve to the same text, so.po generation
works, but .mo generation fails. These are:
#define MSGTR_MENU_PlayList and #define MSGTR_PlayList
#define MSGTR_MENU_Preferences and #define MSGTR_Preferences
#define MSGTR_EQU_Audio and #define MSGTR_PREFERENCES_Audio
#define MSGTR_EQU_Video and #define MSGTR_PREFERENCES_Video
#define MSGTR_PREFERENCES_Misc and #define MSGTR_PREFERENCES_FRAME_Misc
all these pairs resolve to same texts, so something is needed to fix
this. Anyone can help me with it?

Also during testing I've found some errors in translations, that need to
be fixed before this works.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl