[MPlayer-dev-eng] HRTF experiences?

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Apr 2 21:29:59 CEST 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 00:35, Yue Shi Lai wrote:

> However, guessing the problem based on two listening experiences is kind
> of hard. And maybe there are also other issues somebody might have
> perceived? It would be very useful if other people who tested the HRTF
> filter could give me some hint how other people perceive the sound
> source localization or the spatial impression in general.

In my experience, hrtf has been more enjoyable for 5.1 stuff than the
'official' downmix into stereo.

Only annoyance has come from AAC stuff which seems to have channels
in seemingly random order, which naturally makes hrtf result sound a bit,
uh, unbalanced. Not hrtf's problem though.

I've never perceived sounds as coming from 'above'. Sometimes from
southwest-above or southeast-above, but I was more "Ooooh!" at that rather than
"it's not supposed to be above".