[MPlayer-dev-eng] PATCH: Fixes seeking based on percentage for mpg's with timestamps not starting at 0

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 2 18:34:13 CEST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 06:22:35PM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> unless someone implements -idx (any volunteer?)

Hmm, I'm actually quite interested and I still have a little free time left..
I know absoloutely nothing about MPEG's though (except playing them...), so
I'll probably need help.

I think the main thing to be gained from this -idx is proper seeking in VBR
files (with today's demux_mpg, you can end up in almost 10x more seek than you
asked), a real and correct total time, and good percentage seeking...

The best thing to possibly be gained from this is smarter MEncoder handling
with broken MPG files, where you have "blank spots" of audio.. they cause
MEncoder to desync and gradually remove frames and fix it.. With this, it
could just remove the whole chunk or make empty audio pakcets or similar...
But this is much later. :)

I hope I'm up to the challenge, I'm gonna start reading demux_mpg.c .
Where should I post my questions BTW?.. Usually I ask on IRC, but you're not
there...

- ods15