[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer in a B&O product (License)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Sep 29 23:35:42 CEST 2004

Martin Jensen writes:

> Bang & Olufsen (http://www.bang-olufsen.com) are currently working on a
> new product witch is planed to use a software DVD player on a Linux
> platform.

That's very nice to hear.

> We are at the moment looking a lot at MPlayer and therefore I would very
> much like to hear about licensing?
> Is all the code to MPlayer covered by the GNU General Public License v2?

See the Copyright file for details of which part of the code is
covered by which license.  It's mostly covered by the GNU General
Public License with some parts covered by the GNU Lesser General
Public License and a few small parts under different GPL compatible
licenses.  As a whole it is covered by the GNU General Public License.

You can have a look at the file yourself:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~main/Copyright

May I ask why you are inquiring about the license?  Is the GNU GPL a
problem for you?

One small note: Are you aware of the fact that MPlayer does not
support DVD menus?

Regards

Diego Biurrun