[MPlayer-dev-eng] Opportunity for list members (w/ attach)

Jeff Gladnick jeff at snorhino.com
Tue Sep 21 17:46:35 CEST 2004

Software Modules

1)Video Selection and playback

Goal:
Develop or Modify existing GPL software in order to display a menu of
different video clips (4-10), with their short (a few words) and
“preview” (a longer description).  The menu will also be able to perform
a few functions, such as loading 3rd party programs, but it MUST return
when that 3rd party program is finished.

Features:
The software should be able to accept keyboard commands, and the entire
application should be able to be controlled using less then 6 keys total.
When the system is booted, it most go directly to this video selection
program
The video selection program must be able to load other programs, but
when that other program has finished, it must revert right back to the
video selection program.  This feature should be able to be turned on
and off.
The program should play a very brief introduction video upon startup.

OS Requirements:
Linux, it must run under Linux.

Hardware Requirements
Must be able to run under Via's EPIA VE5000 motherboard/cpu.
(http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_v_spec.jsp?motherboardId=141)

Design Guidelines:
The program should reside in its own hard drive partition.  The OS will
be in another partition, and all video will be located in a 3rd and
separate partition.
The program should use video files which will be named:
  1_a_video.mpg, 1_b_video.mpg, 1_c_video.mpg, 2_a_video.mpg, etc.  Each
video series will have a configuration file associated with it
(1_video.cfg) which will store information about each video clip series.
The naming scheme for the files can be changed.

Configuration File Guidelines:
The configuration file must store the following information:
The names of all associated video files and their order of play.
The name of a picture file used in the menu
The brief, and full description of the video files contained for each
series of clips

End Users:
This will be used in a Kiosk environment, and the users must be unable
to exit out of the video selection program.

2)Motion detection and program activation

Goal:
Use existing GPL software (ie motion, or other) to develop a program to
recognize whether people have entered an enclosed area.

Features:
The software should be able to determine if at least one person has
entered an enclosed area.
Once it has determined that the person has entered the enclosed area, it
should activate a program.
It should check every 30 seconds or so to make sure at least one person
is still in the enclosed area.
If no people are detected, it should shut down the program it previously
activated.

OS Requirements:
Linux, it must run under Linux.

Hardware Requirements
Must be able to run under Via's EPIA VE5000 motherboard/cpu.
(http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_v_spec.jsp?motherboardId=141)

Design Guidelines:
The people will be sitting in predictable places.  So one idea could be
to assume that certain markings will always be in an approximate area.
Lets say a big “X” would be painted on the wall, and if a person sat
there, they would cover the “X”.  So the program could safely assume
that a person had entered the enclosed area and activate a program.

Environment:
This will be used in a Kiosk environment, and the users must be unable
to exit out of the program.  This program should run in the background,
and should automatically restart if it crashes.

3)Update Program

Goal:
To update a program and video files, each of which are located on their
own hard drive partition, utilizing UDPCast (http://udpcast.linux.lu/)or
modifying another GPL program.

There will be 2 parts to the program: 1) A interface at the central
computer to control the entire system, and 2) a background program
running on all “remote computers” (see block diagram) that will can
receive commands to update all “PC”'s (see block diagram)

Features:
Completely overwrite existing hard drive partitions with new data.
The entire network of computers will need to be administered remotely,
and most importantly, securely over the internet.
Easy to use

OS Requirements:
Linux, it must run under Linux.

Hardware Requirements
Must be able to run under Via's EPIA VE5000 motherboard/cpu.
(http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_v_spec.jsp?motherboardId=141)

Design Guidelines:
The program should run in KDE and be very user friendly.
A GUI should allow the user to select which video files he wants to be
updated to the remotely networked computers
This program will be stored on a “central computer” (see block diagram)

Block Diagram: Heirarchy of network

Environment:
This will be used in the KDE desktop, by administrators.  The system
will also run in the background (and start on bootup) on the remote
comptuters and be used to updated the PC's on their individual networks.
Jeff Gladnick
SnoRhino Snowboard Footrests
http://www.SnoRhino.com
Office: (856) 269-9324 (Temporary Line)