[MPlayer-dev-eng] Adding threaded functionality to mplayer NODAEMON

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Sep 21 17:39:46 CEST 2004

>How would using the retrace interrupt as time base, which would be 60 - 70 hz
>or something, be more accurate than the RTC interrupt running at 1024zh,
>which mplayer does now?

Well, empirically, the 60Hz interrupt is spot on 60Hz, which means you
can sleep until *exactly* the frame display moment.  For whatever reason
I didn't appear to find that the RTC clock fired at exactly the given
moment... Can anyone confirm that it is supposed to?  If so then I guess
I was measuring the wrong thing (sorry).  I had kind of assumed that it
must fire on a best efforts basis at around that kind of frequency...?

>I'm not sure how this is supposed to help mplayer. Besides, doesn't the X
>server steal the interrupt these days for tear-free Xv and GL?

I guess it does.  However, you can get GL to notify you when it gets the
interrupt (perhaps with XV as well?).  This gives you another high
accuracy timer to sync to (ok it's not accurate as in 1/n th of a sec,
but it's accurate in that it fires spot on the given frequency, and not
just nearby.  So I guess it allows you to sleep for even very short
intervals with high accuracy)

I may be off the mark here, this was just an idea.  Sync accuracy isn't
a problem for me with mplayer anyway (or at least not as a result of the
sleep code).

Ed W