[MPlayer-dev-eng] Can mplayer output MPEG2 422/444 YUV data?

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 12:44:27 CEST 2004

Jason Geng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have seen in the mplayer homepage that it has "MPEG2 chroma422/444 support". But I can't find the related code in libmpeg2 or libffmpeg. My version is 1.0Pre5. Can anyone tell me if mplayer really can output 422/444 YUV data? Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards
> Jason Geng

I doubt that you will get True YUV output from an MPEG2 decoder, because
the MPEG2 is not stored in YUV format. DVD quality MPEG2 is stored in
Y'CrCb 4:2:0 format.

Any other format will be using interpolation and Colour space
conversions to get 422/444 YUV.

Some people use the term YUV when in fact they should be using the term
Y'CrCb.

YUV is in fact different from Y'CrCb, and so people using the YUV term
are going to confuse things if they talk to someone who understands the
terms accurately.

Y’CrCb is a scaled and offset version of the YUV color space where Y
represents luminance (or brightness), U represents color, and V
represents the saturation value.

James