[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Bugzilla: make it usable now!

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Sep 20 15:31:06 CEST 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 08:27:28AM +0200, Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Be that as it may, I won't do it. I can work on the server side of it
> (meaning the tool parsing the additional mails, getting the control data
> from it and updating the Bugzilla database etc) but I certainly don't
> have the time to do this, too.
>
> If anyone would like to do that I'd be MORE than happy! Because then we
> could point the user to this nice tool and we'd get way more useful bug
> reports.

Hmm....

> The next problem is that if we want this tool to be used by everyone we
> cannot write it in Python, not even in Perl. Think about all the OS we
> support, especially about Windows... No one will install Python or Perl
> just for a bug report.

So we have to stick to brain fuck ? :)
No, i dont think it is a good idea to have a global tool. It simply wont
work. IMHO better would be to have a shell script for unices and an exe
for windows. Ie dont try to eat a kebab with chop sticks :)

> > The quality of Debian bug reports is significantly better than average
> > bugreports found on mailing lists or atrocities like web forums.
> Totally depends on the audience you're dealing with. But this is besides
> the point of this thread :)

With nearly anything from the complete windau to the programming expert
:)

Sorry, nothing really productive in this mail :/

 			Attila Kinali