[MPlayer-dev-eng] Where to free loose memory?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Sep 20 15:47:41 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 05:26:05PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:13:41PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > the sake of a few other things too silly to mention. Plus, as Joey
> > noted, there's no guarantee that all platforms will have proper on-exit
> > memory cleanup - so as long as there's no harm in doing so it's probably
> yes there is... it's obvious if you understand the concept of a heap.

No there is no quarantee on all platforms... but then, we dont design
for broken OS :)

About the memleaks, I know there is (or at least was one about a year
ago) which i encountered when i was listening to mp3s on my laptop while
learning for the exams. After 7 or 8 hours, mplayer usualy crashed with
an out of memory. It somewhat seemed that either the mp3 demuxer or the
playtree forgot to free memory on every new file. Dunno whether this has
been fixed or not, also dunno whether it can be still reproduced.

			Attila Kinali