[MPlayer-dev-eng] mms:// saying "Core dumped ;)"

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 18:40:11 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 04:21:44PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> maybe we could rename it to MSGTR_CoreDumpJoke so that people who
>>>  actually bother to read the source over this will have _some_
>>> hope of figuring out that it was a joke... :)
>>
>> Or it's time to ask Diego to do some re-wording on that. For
>> example: "Congratulations! The stream has been successfully saved
>> for your entertrainment. Enjoy, and dont forget to donate!"
>
> no, i'm strongly in favor of keeping the message. we could just put a
> filter rule on the mailing list to bounce mails containing the
> string "Core dumped ;)" with a message: "you are stupid!"

For what it's worth: I normally consider myself elitist, but I think
this is rather excessive. MPlayer is *not* a program "for use only by
the elite" - and since many non-elite people do have a problem with this
(and indeed I myself would not have correctly interpreted the message if
I hadn't seen it explained), insisting on keeping the misleading message
just for its own sake amounts to setting up a barrier to use by anyone
not In The Know.

I would support the suggested MSGTR_ name change, at a minimum; I don't
mind the message itself in my own use, but I would also support changing
it for reasons of clarity and user-friendliness. As things currently
stand, this mesage is one of the very few parts of MPlayer which is
*intentionally* very decidedly neither.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.