[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] fixing SUB_SELECT

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Sep 19 00:06:42 CEST 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 01:28:16PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:05:28PM +0200, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > > 2) We want only one subtitle source at a time.
> >
> > That's what I'd prefer. If mplayer had a proper subtitle queue then
> > there would (probably) be only one, too.
>
> agree almost entirely, except when making .srt subs it's useful to
> also be able to see the vobsubs and make sure they match up (in
> content and timing).

Okay, so now the big question is whether we should
1) Go ahead with my proposal and add support
   for multiple subs later (or in G2)
2) Work out a way to allow for this now.

I vote #1 for simplicity.

I also just thought of another related issue.
We will also need to decide how to handle -slang and -sid options.
I'm confused on this.  What do we do if the user says -sub blah:blah
-sid 2?  Maybe since dvd, ogg, and mkv subs are all mutually exclusive
and AFAIK the only ones that use the -slang option, we can leave that
alone.  But with -sid, my only solution is to let main treat that as
part of our new global sub numbering, then tell the demuxers "look for
your sub number X" when it's appropriate... But is this enough?  Are
there other situations for which this is either not quite right or
(worse yet) broken?

--Joey

--
All philosophy is naïve.