[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/DOCS/tech mpcf.txt, 1.64, 1.65

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Sep 13 15:19:09 CEST 2004

Hi

On Monday 13 September 2004 14:37, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > hmmm...can you explain a bit more of how this would work?

> > > again i'd like to hear more about what you have in mind for chapters.
> >
> > a chapter would simply be described by a info packet containing the
> > following ------
> > StartTimestamp ...
> > EndTimestamp ...
> > Titel=<chapter name>
> > Description=<chapter description>
> > ------
>
> maybe this works for very basic stuff like chapters, but i'm strongly
> against it for editlists and menus. it won't be nearly flexible
> enough, so everyone will make their own incompatible extensions to
> it...

can u give some examples for which this isnt flexible enough?

> my inclination (although i'm open to arguments to the contrary)
> is that menus and editlists should _not_ be specified in the container
> format any more than codecs should. instead the container should just
> specify packet types to hold "navigation" data, with user-defined data
> inside. then, rather than being limited to what the container gives
> them, people can design their own menu formats...some very basic,
> others really advanced, etc.

i think u missunderstand my suggestion a little, what iam proposing is to
split content from markup, so that the actual content (start/stop times,
titles, author, ...) are stored in a standard format (= info packets) while
the markup is stored somewhere else, like another stream, later would have a
codec like video and audio have and this could contain images, video, scripts
or anything else the codec wants to use

[...]

> if we do decide to put the menu stuff directly in the nut file, i
> _don't_ think it's at all proper to append (or prepend) the menu
> animations onto the main audio/video tracks.

certainly, i never suggested to append them to the main tracks, this would be
very sick

> it really sucks for users
> not using a stupid gui-menu movieplayer.

none of the suggested things need a gui to work, u can very easily display the
menu as pure text, and certainly cant if u put black-box data in a menu
stream without any standarized info like u suggest

PS: your/alex`s suggestion remainds me strongly of ogg where even things like
samplerate are stored in codec specific ways ...

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();  (violates patent EP0266049)