[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/DOCS/tech mpcf.txt, 1.64, 1.65

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Sep 13 13:36:03 CEST 2004

Hi

On Monday 13 September 2004 09:53, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > michael, i agree the whole thing scould use a little more work
> > > (info/meta stuff), but alex and i agreed strongly that the old system
> > > was bad. a couple key points we talked about (perhaps with a few new
> > > ideas added by me):
> > >
> > > 1. the old info packet contained a list of tags describing two
> > >    different (and unrelated things): itself, and some portion of the
> > >    file. for example, some tags like streamid and start/end time told
> > >    what the packet applies to, while others like author, title, etc.
> > >    described the object the packet applies to. imo this was
> > >    unnecessarily confusing.
> >
> > well, i wanted to use info packets for edit lists and menus, so alex`s
> > removing of start/stop time makes this impossible
>
> hmmm...can you explain a bit more of how this would work?
>
> > it also destroys chapters support, as its no longer possible to describe
> > a specific part
>
> again i'd like to hear more about what you have in mind for chapters.

a chapter would simply be described by a info packet containing the following
------
StartTimestamp ...
EndTimestamp ...
Titel=<chapter name>
Description=<chapter description>
------

an edit list can be done with:
--Packet0
SegmentId=0
Hidden=1
StartTimestamp ...
EndTimestamp ...
--Packet1
SegmentId=1
Hidden=1
StartTimestamp ...
EndTimestamp ...
--Packet2
SegmentId=2
Title=<edit list title>
PlaySegment=1
PlaySegment=0
--

we also probably need some PacketType which should the first entry to
distinguish EditLists, Chapters, ...

a menu could be done with:
--Packet3
SegmentId=3
Title=...
Hidden=1
StartTimestamp ...
EndTimestamp ...
--Packet4
SegmentId=4
Title=<menu title>
MenuItem=3
MenuItem=2 (=the editlist from above)
--

additionally we could add some image(s)/video(s)/simple script language to
show a nice GUI for the menu ...

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();  (violates patent EP0266049)