[MPlayer-dev-eng] PTS/DTS

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 8 18:17:12 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:48:47AM -0400, Levi Bard wrote:
> > In my view, it should be interpreted as:
> > If you release the modified version to at least one user, you have to
> > give the modified source code to the public.
>
> I agree, based on Sections 2b and 3a: (emphasis is mine)
> [2]b)  You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to **all** third
> parties under the terms of this License.
> [and]
> [3]a)  Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
> source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1
> and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange;

gpl never requires you to give source to anyone unless you also gave
them another ("binary") form of the derived work. but, whenever you do
distribute the source even to one person, it's licensed under the same
terms to all third parties, i.e. anyone who gets their hands on a copy
has full rights under the gpl. furthermore, the single person you gave
the source to has full rights under the gpl to share the code with
anyone they wish. (and afaik, full rights to keep it private too, as
long as they don't distribute binaries.)

rich