[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Use of Mplayer with Vivian video distribution

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Sep 8 02:04:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 09:55:59PM -0500, Beth Blankenship wrote:
> http://www.viametrix.com
> Viametrix distributes video training over the
> Internet.  I am investigating using mplayer as an alternate player to
> WM9 in our Vivian video distribution system.
>
> The Microsoft player is a large download and does not perform
> consistently across 95,XP, and W2000.
>
> Mplayer would allow us to reach more platforms (Apple, Linux, etc.),
> give our users a smaller and easier download, and also appears to be
> more robust than WM9.
>
> I have scoured the WEB to find enough information for me to present my
> mplayer proposal to management.  However, I still have not been able to
> figure out if it is possible to connect mplayer to a TCP video stream.

This largely depends on your definition of TCP video stream.
There are quite a few streaming formats out there, some are supported,
some are not. Could you clarify this a bit more ?

> I have also looked for example of embedding mplayer in either a browser
> or a Windows executable.  And last, our streams are all WM9, so no other
> CODECs are needed.  Some advice on how to create a minimal sized
> download would be helpful.

Compile MPlayer yourself and switch off everthing you dont need.
I guess you should be able to get to a binary below 1MB.

> I notice on your WEB site that you are constantly looking for donated
> equipment.  I believe I could possibly get something for you from
> Viametrix.  What do you need at the moment?  We have a server farm and a
> lot of bandwidth.  Would this be helpful for you?

Currently we are well equiped with servers, though the main server
itself could need some upgrade of a few parts. But that's actualy not
the biggest issue. We (ie the developers) are mostly looking for hardware
that might directly help development. If you want to help us, best would
be to fullfil one of the donnation whishes on
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/donations.html .

			Attila Kinali

PS: This discussion belongs to mplayer-dev-eng at mplayerhq.hu
which you should subscribe to.
--
If Tesla had just not worked with Westinghouse we all would
be using 99% efficent wireless electricity