[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure --force-option (was --enable-gif)

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 13:47:17 CEST 2004

(All of this is merely my own opinion.)

Torinthiel wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:44:14AM -0400, Adrian wrote:
>
>>> 'yes' - force building this, set when you pass --force-*
>>> 'auto-yes' - autodetect, but fail ./configure if autodetecttion
>>>              fails. set with sth like --enable-*, but I think it
 >>>              should get other name
>>
>> What is the difference between these two?
>
> auto-yes runs autodetection, and notifies if it has failed. So it's
> new behaviour, not comparable to anything we know ;)

How is this new behaviour? How does it differ from no-argument-provided
autodetection, as that takes place now?

> yes is exactly the meaning of --enable now - no autodetection, assume
>  everything is correct.

And that refers to one point on which I do not budge: the meaning of
--enable does not get changed. Every single proposal for changing this
system which I have ever seen made has involved changing --enable from
"build it in and hang the consequences" to something else, usually
"autodetect whether or not it can be built in"; I do not see any reason
to do this, and in any case find it in no way acceptable. I have no
fundamental objection to having both types of functionality available
via different flags, but making --enable not mean what the various
proposers have called "force" is so far as I'm concerned not an option.

IOW: If some form of this version of the proposal gets adopted, 'yes'
would be set by passing --enable-*, not by --force-* or anything of that
sort. What to use to set 'auto-yes' remains open for discussion.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.