[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure --force-option (was --enable-gif)

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sun Sep 5 14:29:09 CEST 2004

I had kept silence for too long time. I think we should change this one.

The Problem:
--enable-option could force option or run test for it, depending on that is it
enabled by default or not.

Long time ago I tried to fix it. But got agressive responce from arpi,
gabucono & Co.  The main reason of this behaviour is our configure to be
different than
autoconf's configure.
Later I have proposed --force-option to be used to force compilation of some
feature, and --enable-option to be leaved for autodetection. This one wasn't
accepted too:(

I hope that now when gabucino and arpi are not developers the rest of
developers will agree to --force-option.

This way we will have:
--force-option - compile option without testing it availability. may break
compile
--enable-option - enable option if the test for it succeed. Same as --force if
there is no test.
--disable-option - don't try to compile and test this option.

And if you think that this will break something, I asure you that it won't.
Nobody but mplayer developers know that --enable have the meaning of force.

I appeal to you. Users don't know that we don't use autogen configure. They
think it is normal configure.

Wish You Best
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive