[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: "dev-CVS-040828-23:58-3.2" data on builds incorrect

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Mon Oct 11 00:34:18 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 09:37:43PM +0100, J. Grant wrote:
> I deleted version.h, and it was not "rebuilt" by running "make".

I deleted version.h and it was rebuilt by running make.

> Some thinks I have noticed:
> 1. "make distclean" does not remove version.h.
> 2. "make distclean" does not create version.h if there is not one already.

I didn't say it does ;) In fact it would produce quite interesting
results, as generating version.h runs make distclean. So generating
version.h would delete version.h if 1) was true, and cleaning build tree
would update version.h (not necessary an error, but pointless) if 2) was
true.

> >Yes, Makefile does it. IMHO no, as running it in Makefile is more
> >general. Suppose you update something and don't run configure. If
> >version.h is updated by configure it won't get run. But if run by
> >Makefile then the version gets updated correctly.
>
> Ok, that sounds good.  If it works.  The makefile only updates version.h if
> config.h, config.mak, or Makefile have changed. I do not know if "cvs
> update -d" will update those files.

Sometimes but very rarely Makefile. config.{h,mak} are generated by
configure so CVS won't touch them.
But: Makefile, lines 260 and later:
[comment ommited]
$(MPLAYER_DEP): version.h
$(MENCODER_DEP): version.h

So every little thing requires version.h
But then I've checked on my box that version.h depends on nothing if you
have .developer file in main. This might be the reason. Else it depends
on Makefile, both configs and CVS/Entries. And the last is updated by
CVS on every cvs up, just checked.
And if you have .developer in main than version.h is not dependant on
anything and furthermore generating it does not run make distclean. So
you don't have new version every time - that's the price for not having
to rebuild whole tree after a single update that doesn't really cause
much trouble. I'm using it for long, and I see no reason to have
version.h updated periodically.

> Here is an example illustrainting the problem:
> =================================
[cut]
> Can you repeat the steps and confirm if you too see this problem?

Done with two different situations - with and without .developer in
main. With it behaves as you have said - version.h is not updated.
Without however it updates correctly. Dont you have a stray one left
behind? Remember it's hidden, so only ls -a will show it.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl