[MPlayer-dev-eng] Can this be a basis of skip filter that I need

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 9 23:37:51 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 02:25:31AM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:11:48PM +0100, VJ wrote:
> > I got the following code working (i replaced the code in flip.c because I
> > wanted to test the code without going into the hassle of modifying Makefile
> > etc. It is very very rudimentary and works as I want, though only for
> > video. The Audio does not get skipped and it continues whereas the video
> > frames get dropped as I want.
>
> Learn how to use diff, please, and start sending patches.
>
> As for your audio problems... this filter will drop the video frames you
> want dropped.  However, you will still need to redo the timestamps on
> those frames.

no, there are no such things as timestamps in mencoder. that's why it
sucks. the frames will just be missing, so mencoder will duplicate the
previous frame over and over to make up for them.

> Then you will need to deal with audio.  The problem with
> this filter method is that there is no analog AFAIK to this in the audio
> filter system.

ironically, what vj wants _can_ actually be done with audio filters.
if you make an audio filter that drops a huge segment of audio at the
same time as dropping the video, mencoder's bad a/v sync system will
kick in and should do the right thing.

but with mencoder's design, neither of these tasks should be performed
with filters...

rich