[MPlayer-dev-eng] synch to x264 r50 / mencgen

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 8 18:21:33 CEST 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Le mer 29/09/2004 à 23:07, Loren Merritt a écrit :
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>> In the attempt to provide users the best possible documentation, what is
>>> suppose to happen is no scene-cut detection is done?
>>> Are I-frames only inserted each every "keyint" frames?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> The updated attached patch features that explanation.
>
> +-1 disables scene-cut detection, so I-frames are be inserted only every
> +other keyint frames, which probably leads to ugly encoding artifacts.

Disabling scenecut detection doesn't lead to any particular artifacts,
just general wasting of bitrate. (Effectively it _increases_ the number
of I-frames, but without the corresponding increase in seekability.
Because scenecuts encoded as P-frames are just as big as I-frames, but
then you also add the evenly spaced I-frames due to keyint.)

--Loren Merritt