[MPlayer-dev-eng] possible code-modification in mga_vid for seemless looping

Justin Case justin_case at gmx.net
Tue Oct 5 11:04:38 CEST 2004

hello,

i am currently building a nice box with 4 outputs using a matrox g450 quad
card once again. it works very nice with very low cpu consumption by using
the mga_vid devices.

there is one really big issue with this driver, though: it cannot loop
seemless. even with --fixed-vo the driver seems to close and reopen upon
looping, resolving in a nasty visible flash. the only driver i found so far
that can for example loop a set of jpegs as if they really were one endless
clip is the x11 driver, wich consumes more cpu in the first place but also
needs an x-server, wich i can nicely circumvent by using the mga devices on
top of a framebuffer.

i could image it being relatively easy to make the mga driver behave nicely
upon looping. my trouble is, i am not into coding, but if someone would come
up with some information about the necessary modifications i would ask
around among my friends if someone could have a look into the code and try
solve this issue and return the results to the developers again.

thx and my regards,
/jc