[MPlayer-dev-eng] DMA or not DMA

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Tue Nov 30 08:41:33 CET 2004

> Well, if northbridge bandwidth is the issue, you could get a dual
> pentium at a lower clock rate and achieve speedup at lower cost.

If that is the problem, using dual pentiums may well increase the problem,
because on Intel SMP, the access to the northbridge is shared between the
two. So each CPU would have only half CPU-Northbridge bandwidth as the single
does.

(Intel seems fond of shared access to northbridge, and it happens on Itanium
as well. It especially hurts them when comparing Xeon to Opteron, because the
opteron scales up to 2 and 4 procs a hell of a lot better than Xeon. (Haven't
seen 8-way #s)

Opterons (and I believe Power derived, though I could be wrong) chips pretty
much blow away conventional archs due to the re-location of the memory
controller to the processor.

In short, Intel's bus design sucks for scaling up in SMP due to
northbridge-cpu design, and *if* that's the actual problem that's going on
here, going dual xeon or pentium 3s won't help much, if they don't end up
making it worse.

James L