[MPlayer-dev-eng] Binary codecs

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 04:33:38 CET 2004

>1) Add binary codecs for formats we can decode natively?
have a seperate zip for binary codecs of native decoders.
or just have codecs.conf entries and leave codecs in v-codecs dir.
(more codecs.conf entries never hurt)

>2) Add binary codecs for format already supported by other binary codecs?
use whatever is fastest and supports most colorspaces i say.

e.g. the 3vix codec added that was supported in quicktime and xanim
codecs, but xanim does not work on all sys and the quicktime
is slow as heck. so in this case i suggest dshow codec.
do you then drop xanim codec? or make it less priority?

>3) Add all variants of the same codec (ex. vfw and dshow)?
the other variants should be in codecs.conf for people
that already have the codec on thier pc (e.g. windows users) but
no need to include codec in zip (only in samples/v-codecs dir)

>The second question is about demo/trial codecs: support them or not?
maybe a line in codecs.conf that says the dll is supported and
trial/demo, please download it from the codec makers' website.

my two cents, good luck!