[MPlayer-dev-eng] Binary codecs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Nov 20 04:18:49 CET 2004

Hi

On Saturday 20 November 2004 02:48, Roberto Togni wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> In the last few days there were a lot of patches to support binary
> codecs (win32 dll).
>
> I'll apply everything that decode formats now unsupported, but what do
> do with the rest?
>
> In detail:
> 1) Add binary codecs for formats we can decode natively?

advantages:
* usefull for debugging native codecs

disadvatages:
* bloat
* bigger/more codec packages -> more bandwidth needed for the servers
* users will use the binary codec if the native doesnt work instead of
reporting it -> the native codecs will be buggier

[...]
--
Michael

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire