[MPlayer-dev-eng] Binary codecs

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Sat Nov 20 02:48:04 CET 2004

Hi all.

In the last few days there were a lot of patches to support binary
codecs (win32 dll).

I'll apply everything that decode formats now unsupported, but what do
do with the rest?

In detail:
1) Add binary codecs for formats we can decode natively?
2) Add binary codecs for format already supported by other binary
codecs?
3) Add all variants of the same codec (ex. vfw and dshow)?

The second question is about demo/trial codecs: support them or not?
As an example, now we have an expired m3jpeg.dll in our codec package;
Cesar submitted an updated codec that solve the problem, at least until
the codec expires again.
What to do? Try to keep the dll up to date (if possible), drop the
codec, patch the dll/the loader to "fix" the expiration problem?

If you care about binary codecs, please give your opinion on the
matters.

Ciao,
 Roberto