[MPlayer-dev-eng] autoexpand patch

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at caps-entreprise.com
Sat Nov 13 17:00:39 CET 2004

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

>>That's normal behavior. the 720:576 DVD contains an aspect
>>ratio (here 16/9, hence 1024:576) at which the DVD must be
>>played.  Unfortunately, when you expand the image with
>>-vf expand, the image is first expanded, and *then* the
>>final display aspect ratio is computed.
>>
>>So for a 720:576 image at 16:9, that's 1024:576 final, and the
>>width will be expanded by (1024/720) ~= 1.42 You pad the
>>image with black by asking for 1024 at 4:3, so the image is padded
>>to 1024:767 (rounding error ?), and *then* the width is multiplied
>>by ~1.42, and so display at 1456:767
>
> In other words, it's not a bug, it's a feature? :(

I'd say, it's an implementation side-effect. Aspect-ratio resizing
is handled by telling the vo what is required, so it can be done in
hardware, while the various video filter are called before that.
Unless vf expand has access to the movie aspect ratio, no way
this can be done, IMHO.

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>