[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fast OpenGL playback

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Tue Nov 9 00:35:40 CET 2004

> > -vo X11:     5.4 sec
> > -vo gl2:     6.85 sec
> > -vo gl :    ~7 sec
> > -vo dga:     4.7 sec
> > -vo vesa:   ~3.7 sec
> > -vo gl_hack: 3.7 sec
>
> Those are all really slow vos. Much more interesting would be a
> comparison against -vo xv or vidix, I would consider same speed as vo_vesa not
> really good. You might also want to compare -vo gl:manyfmts (if your MPlayer version is
> new enough).

-vo xv:          4.1 seconds
-vo vidix:       (doesn't work for me)
-vo gl:manyfmts  ~6.7 seconds

Unless I'm not understanding something right, 3.7 seconds is actually
pretty darned good.  According to the Mpalyer benchmark outputs, I'm
spending about 90% of the time in the VC module, about 5% of the time in
the VO module, and 5% of the time in Sys (not sure what that accounts
for).  So unless I'm forcing the decoder to use a suboptimal format
(Mpeg-2, and I'm using Planar YV12), I don't think I have much room for
improvement (the decoder alone takes about 3.2 seconds)

Remember this is a 1024x768 mpeg-2 stream (1375 KBytes/sec == 11000 kbps)

> Actually I'd like to have a look at the code, maybe some of its ideas
> can be used (although main reason for OpenGL support is still
> portability).

Yeah, I figured that's why it is included.  For what I want to use it for,
though (mpeg-2 -> textures in openGL), I can't really use any other type
of VO (not that I'm aware of, anyway).  So for me I'm seeing a 2x speedup.

I'll clean up the code (a little bit) and send it to the list.

-Steve