[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proof of concept OpenGL video output utlizing GPU for colorspace conversion

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun May 30 21:32:39 CEST 2004

Hi,

> At http://www.boblycat.org/~malc/code/patches/mplayer/index.html you will find
> a patch against CVS version of MPlayer, implementing GPU based I420->RGB
> conversion. Patch relies on OpenGL(+extensions) and SDL.

Interesting, but if you're interested in getting this into CVS I think I
should warn you... expect this to be difficult.

Anyway some first thoughts:

It is very specific. It doesn't support normal RGB, so for files that
use some RGB format (probably few) they would have to specify a
different vo.
And it doesn't support older cards where this accleration would be most
important (ok, that's not trivial to fix).

Why does it depend on SDL? For platform independance? Does it work under
Windows/other OSes?

Am I right that it doesn't support an OSD yet? There seem to be part of
support for it, but at least nothing hardware accelerated.

We (at least I) hope that we will switch to G2 somewhen "soon", so there
is a little less interest in adding new features to G1.

You might want to have a look at some other attempts:
studwww.ira.uka.de/~s_doeffi/yuv_gl_vos.tar.bz2

contains a replacement for vo_gl.c, in the "libvo" directory a a version
for G1, supporting also OSD and Windows, but only for nVidia cards, and
in the "libvo2" dir a version for G2, currently only for nVidia cards as
well (last two were written by me, and I don't have anything to test
fragment shaders on :( ).

I can at least add your version to that file as well, if you want/allow
that...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger