[MPlayer-dev-eng] finalizing nut!

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue May 25 22:39:54 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:51:47PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> ok, nut and the next mplayer release are both running a little behind
> schedule. but no need to rush, they'll be good when they're ready.
> here's my todo list for what needs to be done to finalize nut and
> release:

been talking to michael on irc, so here are some updates:

> - startcode overrides?? (not sure...good or bad?)

bad and not useful.

> - extra language flags in stream header (default=recommended default
>   for playback, original=original language, possibly also
>   supplemental=never select by default, e.g. commentary track) without
>   these it's very difficult for a player to do what the user intends
>   without manual per-file configuration!

scratch this and replace them with a "Disposition" tag in the info
packet. possible values for audio are orig/dub/com[mentary] and
possibly other additions. for text, sub/com/karaoke and possibly
others.

to make sure the player can actually get this information at startup
time, require info packets to immediately follow headers.

plus, a couple more:

- specify rules for header repetition:

working rule so far: demuxer SHOULD look for headers at beginning and
end of file, and beginning at offsets 2^n (for each n) in the file,
and stop upon finding the first startcode.

- specify subtitle stream header and muxing

- specify guidelines for max_distance and max_short_distance

so far, defaults should be 4k and 32k, and should not exceed double
that without good reason.

rich