[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 22 21:36:07 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 01:04:28PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

>> The first patch adds the necessary #defines to mp_msg.h.
>
> Looks fine.

ERR and GLOBAL are appropriate equivalents, then? Lack of the okay on
those was the big delay in getting started on this, but I finally said
"screw it" and went ahead without that.

>> The second patch defines the new MSGTRs in help_mp-en.h.
>
> IMO there are a few too many. If the original string has no
> grammatical content in English, just stuff like foo=%d, there's no
> sense in making it translatable.

Yes, those were mostly what I was referring to. There are a few things
which were so obviously no-semantic-content that I didn't move them, but
there were a few others which were borderline enough that I couldn't
tell and so moved them so they'd be able to get comments.

The only ones which look borderline to me, looking at the patch now, are
OpenedStream, LamePresetEquals, FramesizeBufsizeTag (why did I move that
one?? those are variables! removed), and possibly V/ACodecFramecopy
and CBRAudioByterate. Each of those has at least one translatable term
in it (and reference Video/AudioStreamResult, just above the added
lines), but it still might not be worth the change. Any others?

>> The third patch removes all functional printfs from mencoder.c.
>
> Agree, except IMO you shouldn't change fprintf(stderr, ...) to
> MSGL_ERROR. Just use MSGL_FIXME like everything else.

My reasoning was that changing it like that loses information - the
original was targeted at stderr, and just using FIXME for it means the
prospective fixer can't tell something which was fprintf(stderr, ...)
from something which was printf(...). If you think it's important
enough, however, I can go back and correct them.

>>> Added from later "attention?" post: are there any files, aside
>>> from obvious ones like mp_msg.c, in which printf should *not* be
>>> changed to mp_msg? If so, which ones?
>
> There're a couple of cases in libmpcodecs/pullup.c which should not
> be changed, since it's not supposed to depend on MPlayer.

I'll skip that file, then.

Should I separate the printf -> mp_msg changes and the string moves into
different patches, in the future? Doing so would slow me down, since I
would have to go through files twice (and, unless I've missed something,
wait for the first to be committed before beginning work on the second),
but it might be worth it.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.