[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 22 19:04:28 CEST 2004

I'm going through the source and doing two things: first, changing any
non-commented printf to an mp_msg (using MSGL_FIXME and MSGT_FIXME in
almost every case), and second (per request), moving any translatable
printed text from the source files themselves to help_mp-en.h so the
translators can find it. The attached patches, to Monday afternoon's CVS
but identical to patches against today's (and hopefully in the correct
form), do this for mencoder.c; patches for other files will follow as I
complete them.

I may have gone overboard somewhat with the latter type of change; some
of the things I've moved may not need translating. Please do object to
any change you think doesn't make sense; please also speak up if any of
the MSGTR names I've used aren't appropriate. I should probably have
separated the two sets of changes into different patches, but that
didn't occur to me until I was more than halfway through. I can do it if
necessary, but it would require essentially starting from scratch.

The first patch adds the necessary #defines to mp_msg.h.
The second patch defines the new MSGTRs in help_mp-en.h.
The third patch removes all functional printfs from mencoder.c.
The fourth patch keeps mplayer.c from breaking on a syntax change in
MSGTR_Exiting.

Added from later "attention?" post: are there any files, aside from
obvious ones like mp_msg.c, in which printf should *not* be changed to
mp_msg? If so, which ones?

--
         The Wanderer

side of it.