[MPlayer-dev-eng] udp/mpeg2-ts streaming

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu May 20 16:14:29 CEST 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:46:09 +0200, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at tiscali.it> wrote:

>> At an earlier stage on a pii-400, I was getting "too many video
>> packets for this buffer" message, and traced through the demuxing.
>
> yes, but surely this message was preceded by "your system is too slow to
> handle this", right?

Yes it was. Since changing to a P3-700 which will be a fair approximation
of the 800Mhz C3 VIA target hardware, I haven't gotten the "your system
is too slow to handle this", until just now when I tried the -nosound
suggestion :)

Video quality is good with -nosound, but the a/v sync drifts
immediately and I do get sound.

mplayer -vo xv -nosound rtsp://omnibase/sync_test1

Log file at: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D14052A58

The logs seems to say that X11 video output is being used even
though I have specified xv.

I then tried the sdl audio output that I've been having some
success with and a/v sync is _slightly_ out (enough to look
wrong) and there are some video artifacts. So, the default
audio output (OSS) with -nosound now gives the best video
quality (by far), but it doesn't hold audio and video in
sync at all.

mplayer -vo xv -ao sdl -nosound rtsp://omnibase/sync_test1

Log file at: http://makeashorterlink.com/?E27065A58

> Is the video smooth until the end if you append -nosound?

Yes, but audio and video are never in sync.

What does that tell you?

Dermot.