[MPlayer-dev-eng] udp/mpeg2-ts streaming

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu May 20 15:27:38 CEST 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:10:05 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
<James at superbug.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Have you tried using a variety of client apps.
> E.g. Videolan client, xine, as well as mplayer.
> At least from that you will be able to tell if it is a mplayer specific
> problem, or maybe something else.

The difficulty is that I have modified liblive to support
the particular vod servers rtsp/x-rtsp-mh implementation
and also made a couple of changes in libmpdemux/demux_rtp.cpp
to support this and a bugfix to make the demux_rtp close
along with the demux_ts so that an RTSP TEARDOWN gets sent
to the vod server. I've only scaled this to two demuxers
chained as that was easy to do. Supporting chaining
N demuxers and closing them in reverse order might be
a good thing to do, but as I didn't need it, I didn't
implement it.

Derk-Jan from vlc has been working on pretty much the
same stuff for vlc (Kasenna vod server support), but
switching client would mean ramping up the vlc learning
curve, and mplayer took (is taking)long enough.

vlc has the added advantage that their udp streaming
support seems to at least work (although I've heard it
described as a hack also), and this would be useful to
me because after getting udp/unicast/mpeg2-ts streaming
working, my next task will be udp/multicast.

xine doesn't have the level of rtsp support that I would
need, unless I implemented it myself, which is a distant
possibility. I'm not sure what their level of udp unicast
and multicast support is like.

But, yes, maybe I should be trying some of these things.

Dermot.