[MPlayer-dev-eng] making -mc the default in mencoder

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Mon May 17 02:53:35 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III said:
> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 08:00:06PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>> Hey guys, I propose we make -mc  the default in mencoder. I've
>> already recommended using it in my in-progress encoding guide, but IMO
>> lots of users are too lame to RTFM so they won't know to use it.
>
> Any more comments on this before I change it?

Hi Rich,
About your "mc" proposial.

If you can't fix it, don't break it.
If I understand correctly this will disable by default
frame drop/frame repeat mechanism.

You are complaining that when you encode DVD, you get dropped frame in
beggining and inconsistance dropping/dublicating while using same fps and ofps.
Unfortunatly "mc" is not the root of this problem. It comes from the inablity
of decoder to distinguish droppend frame from delayed frame (Yes B-frames
again). A quick workaround is if the first frame is dropped to be threted as
delayed (this could be combined with the pre-load stuff)

So if the DVD/AVI is properly interleaved it should not need correction
at all.
I agree that mencoder should monitor the destination A/V.

Ivan Kalvachev

p.s.
If I understand correct "mc" is used to smooth dropping/dublicating.
It's maximum value is maximum frame duration.