[MPlayer-dev-eng] FTP - stream_ftp.c - plenty of bugs?

iSteve isteve at rulez.cz
Fri May 14 23:58:58 CEST 2004

Greetings,
  few days ago, I tryed to play a movie from ftp server, and
unfortunately found out it is quite impossible. After some research, I
found out that connection gets stalled, and I wrote this patch to make
mplayer cope with stalled connections.

  However, it shouldn't stall at all in the first place. On two server
(my in LAN and ftp.mplayerhq.hu where are some examples) and for
multiple people, it just stalled and then died off. Mozilla, wget nor
lftp had any problems with it, so I guess this is a deeper problem in
ftp support. Also, with the patch, after approximately 20-40 minutes of
playback (it seems to me that it doesn't matter where in the file you at
the moment are) the connection dies off, stating it has trouble seeking
within cache.

  This patch just recreates control connection in the case that
connection gets stalled, and mplayer gets timeouted out of server.

  It would be great if someone would continue in fixing ftp support in
mplayer, as I lack the skill and knowledge to do it fast and do it right
(this is, as I said, a quick and ugly hack that, in my environment,
changed ftp status from "utterly fucked" to "very buggy". I will however
try to look deeper in this matter, especially why does it stall in the
first connection but further connections are more or less ok (until that
unfortunate terminate after 20-40 minutes of playback).

The patch: http://isteve.rulez.cz/others/stream_ftp.patch