[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT error resilience ideas

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon May 10 18:45:49 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I'd rather make it a separate "recovery file". That way users who
> don't want/need it can ignore it without having to modify the main nut
> file (which is bad for p2p use ;).

I fully agree. The container should only contain the things necessary to
play, not everything you might need once in a few hundred times.
The only advantage of putting it inside I can think of is that we would
force support for it in players...
And for those who really need more error resilience I think it wouldn't
be too much trouble to save e.g. 6 bytes ECC codes per block in a
separate file.
Like this also only players for streaming would have to support it
directly (during playing), all others could use a separate program for
fixing damaged files...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger