[MPlayer-dev-eng] REQUEST: Subtitles as URL instead of file

Hendri Hondorp hendri at cs.utwente.nl
Fri May 7 10:12:19 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have a request for a codechange in subreader.c / mplayer.

If a video file is located at a http/ftp URL and a subtitle
file (with the same URL but the extension (.sami/.srt/.sub/.mpsub etc)
is different of course) too, this subtitle URL will be shown.

Windows Media Player is doing it this way. In MPlayer it is not
possible to set the subtitle file using a URL, but only as a filename.
 ( Or maybe I have not seen all options (one of the 'thousand') and
   didn't realize something like this was possible.)

Can someone help me to change the code. I think it's not much work.
In 'subreader.c' before 'fd=fopen(filename,"r")' the URL needs to
downloaded and connected to this 'downloaded temp-filename'.

Hendri Hondorp