[MPlayer-dev-eng] a/v sync

joy at pingfm.org joy at pingfm.org
Wed May 5 14:24:33 CEST 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Dermot McGahon wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 2004 12:37:26 +0200 (CEST), <joy at pingfm.org> wrote:
>
> >>    http://www.bqbsoftware.ie/mplayer_logs/
> > what cpu do you have? regarding to the logs its something like Pentium II
> > Xeon 398.5 MHz??You try to play the
> > files in full resolution VO: [x11] 704x480 => 704x528 Planar YV12 with
> > X11-vo. this can't work if you really try to play it on a pentium II 400
> > MHz. at least you need xv. then try -cache and -framedrop and lower the
> > res.
>
> Joy,
>
> Development workstation is indeed a PII 400Mhz. Video card in an ATI
> 3D Rage PRO AGP, and X version is 4.3.0. So, no xvideo support as far
> as I know.
there is. im currently using a patched xfree for xv-ati-rage-support.
don't know the adress right know. look in google.
at least you can use dga or xvidix, but i guess you have to lower the
resolution anyway to be able to play these files.

> This will ultimately go on an 800Mhz VIA C3 with integrated graphics
> and integrated AC97 audio device, so it will also not be possible to
> use xvideo, but I am hoping that 800Mhz/X11 video output will be
> sufficient for fullscreen video. Do you think it might work?
don't know which graca the via-c3 has.

> I think though, that the a/v sync problem is not being caused by this,
> but I may be wrong.
its indeed. on such slow machine with these 'high-res'-vids many frames
are dropped look at your logs. if you dont't specify -framedrop a/v goes
automatically out of sync at least for mpeg2 this seems a common
behaviour.

> Thank you for having a look at the logs. Did you manage to play the
> content successfully from file and was there a/v sync?
didn't tried it till now...

> I'm just learning about this area so I will appreciate _any_ comments,
> even it it's just 'you stupid guy, you should be doing ...'
please read the docs first.

regards

joy