[MPlayer-dev-eng] a/v sync

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed May 5 11:56:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:53:47 +0200, Reza Jelveh <reza.jelveh at tu-harburg.de>
wrote:

> hi,
> do you have one of those newer onboard sound chips? if so you might want
> try out to play the files with mplayer -srate 44100. for some reason for
> anything below 44khz the sound card seems to want to play it as 48khz or
> something like that. im not really familiar with the details of this
> problem tho.

Hi Reza,

Sound card is not that new.

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 02)

I've tried with -srate 44100 and there is no difference.

I've uploaded some of the logs to:

   http://www.bqbsoftware.ie/mplayer_logs/

The files being player are at:

   ftp://ftp2.kasenna.com/private/images/demo.assets

   sync_3.8Mbps_MPEG2-FullD1.mpg
   tahiti_dreams_3.8Mbps_MPEG2_FullD1.mpg

It would be a big help if somebody could confirm that these play ok
 from file on a different configuration.

In mine, the audio seems to start immediately, the video starts 5+
seconds later. There is no a/v sync to speak of, I reach the end
of the audio (which I think should be looped), and from that point
on the video plays without audio:

Too many video packets in the buffer: (1024 in 8388608 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)

mpginfo reports a few suspicious error messages, but I know that
these clips are being player with commercial STBs for example, so
I'm not sure that the content is bad:

[dermot at dermot-ws kasenna_samples]$ mpginfo sync_3.8Mbps_MPEG2-FullD1.mpg
Skipped -2 zeroes at start of file
mpgtx: AT EOF - please stop me!
mmm, this file does not start with a pack, offset: -2
use the desperate_mode switch as the first option -X to search for a
header in the whole file!
if you want to force the operation. May yield to an endless loop if no
valid header is found!
Does not even begin with a 00 00 01 xx sequence!
sync_3.8Mbps_MPEG2-FullD1.mpg
   Mpeg 2 Transport Stream [1 program]
     Program N￿ 1 contains 2 Elementary Streams:
       Stream 1: MPEG 2 video [pid: 4131]
       Stream 2: MPEG 1 audio [pid: 4130]

[dermot at dermot-ws kasenna_samples]$ mpginfo
tahiti_dreams_3.8Mbps_MPEG2_FullD1.mpg
Skipped -2 zeroes at start of file
mpgtx: AT EOF - please stop me!
mmm, this file does not start with a pack, offset: -2
use the desperate_mode switch as the first option -X to search for a
header in the whole file!
if you want to force the operation. May yield to an endless loop if no
valid header is found!
Does not even begin with a 00 00 01 xx sequence!
tahiti_dreams_3.8Mbps_MPEG2_FullD1.mpg
   Mpeg 2 Transport Stream [1 program]
     Program N￿ 1 contains 2 Elementary Streams:
       Stream 1: MPEG 2 video [pid: 4131]
       Stream 2: MPEG 1 audio [pid: 4130]

Dermot.