[MPlayer-dev-eng] a/v sync

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed May 5 10:35:12 CEST 2004

[First sent a day and a half ago - has not shown up in list archives]

[Apologies if you receive this twice]

Hi,

I'm extending Live and MPlayer to be able to play udp streams from
a Kasenna VOD server. The RTSP exchanges go fine and video is
streaming.

There are two problems though. Video quality is bad and a/v sync
is bad.

I took a step back and tried if playing from file instead of
streaming had any problems. When playing from file, video quality
is good but a/v sync is still non-existent. The audio is playing
much too fast.

The files I am using for testing are available at:

   ftp://ftp2.kasenna.com/private/images/demo.assets

The ones in particular being used are:

   sync_3.8Mbps_MPEG2-FullD1.mpg
   tahiti_dreams_3.8Mbps_MPEG2_FullD1.mpg

If I specify -autosync 10000 the a/v output indicates that they
are in sync, but it's not true. It lies! The audio seems to play
just as fast as when -autosync is not used.

I'm attaching two -v logs, one with autosync and one without.

Hopefully I can get this content playing properly from file and
will then move on to fixing the video quality problems being seen
when streaming.

Hope you can help.

Dermot.