[NO-SPAM] [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Flaming NUT

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 5 02:15:19 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:35:21AM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:

> > I'd be interested to hear your reasons for saying that lavc's mpeg4
> > is better than XviD. One or two people think that XviD's output looks
> > better than lavc's at the same bitrate (with all the applicable
> > enhancements enabled), so an informed comparison of the two would be
> > nice :)
>
> WHat I would like to know is if Xvid's PSNR and lavc's PSNR outputs when
> using mencoder are at all possible to use for psnr comparison between
> the two.

They should be comparable, but it's hard to say without reading the
code thoroughly. At least they both use the sane method for measuring
psnr: relative to the 4:2:0 yuv frame passed in to the codec. On2's
idiots published PSNR stats relative to RGB source, which made their
VP6 codec look horrible. :)

(Well, it _IS_ horrible -- it just covers it up with heavy postproc --
but the stats made it look worse than it really is. :)

Rich