[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT pts/startcode optimization proposal

Ville Saari 114263 at foo.bar.org
Tue May 4 20:55:22 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:18:05PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > yes, error recovery, if last_timestamp is wrong by a small value lsb
> > timestamps will result in the correct timestamp, delta wont
>
> Ville, the system is Michael describes is really very smart.

Yes. I see it now when Michael described it. It's just not too obvious
so it might be a good idea to add some "whys" to the specification that
currently consists mostly of just "hows". It would keep the ignorant
people who haven't followed the discussion from the beginning, like me,
from asking dumb questions.

What I said about using a constant predictor for timestamps holds for
lsb-timestamps too: Taking the upper bits from the predicted timestamp
instead of the raw last timestamp would increase the odds for the
timestamp to be in range for lsb-coding. Or decrease the odds for it
to fall so near to the edge of the range that the error recovery would
be compromised.

By the way - did you consider what the lsb-method does to the
32*32*32/(32*32)-problem? Any sufficiently accurate approximate
solution would be fine because the residual will be eliminated
by the next lsb timestamp.

--
 Ville