[MPlayer-dev-eng] Synchronization of players in LAN and Cinepack crash

J.A. Gutierrez spd at shiva.cps.unizar.es
Tue May 4 12:57:38 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:33:08PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> J.A. Gutierrez writes:
> >
> > 	http://giga.cps.unizar.es/~spd/src/graphics/mplayer/
> > 	http://giga.cps.unizar.es/~spd/src/graphics/mplayer/cmplayer.txt
>
> Looks interesting, one question, though: You have step by step
> instructions there for making mplayer run with your extensions, but
> why don't you simply make a patch and provide it there?

	I'll do it.

	Anyway, probably it wouldn't be kept as an optional patch;
	since changes mplayer in an essential way:

	- Requires sockets, including listening ones. This may have
	implications from a "configure" level to runtime security
	considerations.

	I didn't check for any "configure" option related to sockets,
	so I don't use the settings it could select. The code compiles
	on every Unix-like system I tried, anyway...

	I don't use any authentification scheme, all of this stuff
	is amied to run on a dedicated LAN where no one could open
	spureous conecctions and ruin the dialog. I don't think there are
	any bug wich could allow remote access to mplayer master/slaves,
	but I haven't checked all the code (should be esasy, there
	are few new lines of code)

> > 	but I've found what seems to be a bug in Cinepack decoder:
> > 	in short, mplayer crashes when there is a drop while playing
> > 	cinepack compressed movies. I sent a report to MPlayer-users,
> > 	but there was no answers.
>
> Could you test again with latest CVS?  We're now using the cinepak
> decoder from libavcodec and our native one will be dropped soon.
> Maybe it does not have these problems.

	I'd try.

--
finger spd at shiva.cps.unizar.es for PGP      /
.mailcap tip of the day:                   /             La vida es una carcel