[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flaming NUT

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Tue May 4 01:36:58 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:25:19AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:

<snip>

Although I don't know the details of NUT or Matroska.
I know that the following requirements are very different: -
1) low bit rate streams.
low bit rate streams want the stream to be as compact as possible and
don't care too much about cpu overhead.
2) high bit rate streams.
high bit rate streams require a format that have extremely low cpu overhead.
3) streams over a network that require some sort of error detection, and
possibly error correction.

These all put very different requirements on a container format.
It is my view that one should have different container formats for each.
Just like MPEG has Program streams container for local media playing,
and Transport streams container for transmission over a network.

Cheers
James